top of page
  • Konrad Tillman

My Horrible Experience At Bangkok Airport

Before we get into what really happened I would like to mention that while I was sick I didn't realize how sick I was until we were airborne out of Manila bound for Bangkok. Usually, sickness is not a problem for me, I push through and can manage. However, this time it was different. There's a moral to the story here.

Upon arriving in Bangkok I had a connecting flight to Phnom Penh which was supposed to be on an A320 (more on that later). I made my way through to connecting flights and passed security until I went to the bathroom. I couldn't move, was throwing up, and then straight back into the fetal position on the bathroom floor at BKK airport. It was a horrific experience.

I realized that I thought I would be unable to fly so I went to speak to someone about changing my flight at Thai Airways. They said no sir we cannot change your flight. I asked them to re-book me for the next day on the same flight which had many seats available like really Thai Airways!! I decided that I would just purchase a new flight and call it a day. However, a new challenge arose which was leaving the airport. With no checked bags I was lugging around maybe 25lbs worth of carry-ons feeling like I was about to pass out.

Originally information directed me to customs where they told me to wait and they would cancel my flight. After 20 minutes I told them I did not want to cancel my flight I wanted to leave the airport and go to a hotel to rest. They then directed me downstairs towards the connecting flights section who then told me I had to go back upstairs to immigration. I went back and they told me to go back downstairs, so I was walking in circles back and forth. I accumulated 8000 steps at Bangkok airport that day...

After an hour and a half of trying to leave the airport, I was on my last legs quite frankly. I went to the toilet and decided I just had to get it all out and get on the plane since I was just going to be sleeping in the airport tonight if I didn't get on this plane. I took some Tylenol, drank some water, and downed a Coca-Cola (anti-nausea). Walking back downstairs I took the train over to the new terminal where I saw a Boeing 787-8 waiting (thank the lord).

5 minutes later boarding commenced and I was on my way feeling a little bit better.

The Moral Of The Story is if you arrive on a connecting flight and decide you want to go to Bangkok I don't think it is possible to do so. So make sure when there is the option of connecting and getting stamped into Thailand you choose wisely. Well hey, at least I was the guinea pig if this happens to anyone else in the future! 😅



Jettoajet full logo
bottom of page